Ballet Teacher Opening
Dance Centre Kenya is looking for a Ballet Teacher
Founded in 2015 Dance Centre Kenya has rapidly established itself as Nairobi’s leading provider of dance education with over 600 students across 3 studio centres. We offer classes in ballet, jazz, tap, musical theatre, hip hop, contemporary and gymnastics for all ages from toddler to adult.
In addition to our fee-paying students we are particularly proud of our sponsorship programme run in conjunction with American charitable organisation Artists for Africa through which we provide training opportunities to children from underprivileged backgrounds.
Our students are given the opportunity to dance in up to four performances a year including two full length ballets, contemporary showcases and our annual recital. They can also audition to join the schools own dance company for more performance opportunities.
In addition to our studio programmes we work with up to 15 kindergartens and schools across the city providing extra-curricular dance education in a range of disciplines.
Due to our ongoing expansion we are now recruiting for an enthusiastic and creative Ballet Teacher to join our dynamic and growing team. We follow the RAD (Royal Academy of Dance) ballet syllabus from pre-primary to advanced II with exams held annually. For this position we are specifically looking for RAD qualified teachers or post-professional dancers.
The job will largely be office / studio based during set hours (to be determined), but working overtime will be required during public performances and rehearsals.
- Hours: 23-27 hours teaching, 10 hours administration.
- Annual Leave: 8 weeks paid leave to be taken during school holiday closure.
- Dance Centre Kenya works on a three-term system starting in September and finishing in July each year, usually in line with the British International Schooling system.
What does Dance Centre Kenya have to offer?
- Being part of a school and community that lives for talent development regardless of background and financial constraints.
- Being part of an international and local team including our administrators who make all studios run as smooth as possible.
- Depending on experience and interest of the specific teacher there are opportunities to be part of DCK management, teacher training, management and coordination and costume management/design.
- Opportunities to set and/or choreograph pieces for performances.
- A complete package is available for the right candidate: In addition to a competitive salary Dance Centre Kenya will provide a car and all necessary legal documentation and permits. DCK will also organise the teacher’s accommodation for the first three months of employment.
- Medical insurance after the initial probation period.
- Royal Academy of Dance Teacher Certification or 5 years experience as a professional dancer
- 3 years teaching experience
- Ability to choreograph for and help organize recitals
- DCK is a racially diverse organisation and as such all employees are expected to be sensitive to the wide range of cultures represented by our students and staff
- A minimum of 2 years commitment from the successful candidate in line with the validity of the work permit issued and following a successful trial period
- 3 references, one of which should be your most recent employer
- Candidates will be expected to undergo a child protection vetting process in line with Kenyan legislation.
Desirable previous experience:
- Training in and ability to teach other techniques and styles other than ballet
- Comprehensive performance experience
- 5 years teaching experience with students at pre-professional level
- A knowledge of classical ballet repertoire
- Ability to choreograph high level classical and contemporary pieces
- First Aid knowledge and ability to respond appropriately to common dance injuries
*In addition to the above we are particularly interested in hearing from candidates with previous experience of living and working abroad, especially in Africa or another developing country. This is not essential criteria.
In the first instance, please send your CV/resume by email along with a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, what you envisage bringing to DCK and how joining DCK would fit your professional career development.
If short-listed, you will be invited to take part in an online video interview.
The selected candidate will be offered the position subject to the receipt of satisfactory references and will be invited to join us in Kenya for a one term/three month probation period.
If you have any questions or inquiries please direct these to email@example.com
Closing date: 30th January 2019